Thursday, April 26, 2012

This is Mommy's Day!

If I had the time, I would blog about every single session I have.  It's very common that I find new friends during my sessions and even more common for me to fall head over heels for these adorable babies and children.  I want to share with you something that struck me during a session this week. 

We all know that portrait sessions are typically "for mommy."  Daddies generally do not like (major understatement) having their photograph taken.  Giving credit where credit is due, I have seen many a dad take one for the team and make it through those trying family sessions.  This week, I had the pleasure of taking family portraits for a very very sweet little family...mom, dad, big brother and baby sister.   Mom was nervous and dad was quiet.  The kids were playing, and in my opinion were being very well-behaved.  A bit into the session, big brother was losing all interest.  While I was doing single shots of the baby, I overheard a conversation that melted my heart!  The brother started to whine to his dad (translation: he was so done with pictures for today).  I heard part of the conversation, not sure what else was said, but the bottom line is really all that mattered.  I heard the dad say, "This is mommy's day."  I wanted to cry right then and there.  He got it!  He realized the importance of this to her and to their family.  And you know what else?  The little boy got it too.  I think his Dad's heart just spoke to him.  The images are perfect, despite a few stressful moments here and there:) 

Every mom, and I mean every mom, wants a perfect portrait of her children, family, etc, hanging on her wall.  It is our heart and soul on a canvas!  It's our pride and joy!  We want it front and center in the most visible place in our homes.  We proudly showcase our loved ones to all who will notice.  On our desks at work, on our facebook pages, on our iPhones...they are always with us.  Family portraits are a precious gift for generations to come.  When our children get older, they will cherish a portrait of their two parents together.  They will cherish portraits with their siblings....even the crying outtakes.  It just warmed my heart to know that this family gave themselves a gift today...in more ways than one. 

And for all of you stressed out moms out there, stop it!!!  It's my job to get those shots, the ones that hopefully bring tears of joy to your eyes.  It may sound cheesy, but that's how I see it.  As a mom, I get it!  I want beautiful portraits of my baby too.  So, whatever it takes to make it happen, that is my gift to you.  From one mom to another:) 

Love y'all!!!
Candace

4 comments:

  1. Love you Candace!!! And it doesn't have to be a dad, a husband gets it too! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy:) True!!!! Hope you newlyweds are settling in well:)

      Delete
  2. Awesome blog post Candace. You are such a people person and that is what shows through your lens. Have a great day! Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott! Great to see you yesterday! Reese asked a million questions about you. She said you were a sweet boy....lol!

      Delete